Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Early Pregnancy Running

Even before having a positive pregnancy test, I could sense the difference in my running.  I was exhausted!  Now, I know every pregnancy is different and not every pregnant woman will feel the same, but I've heard the words "I'm so tired!" from many a pregnant woman.  My husband couldn't figure out why I was so amazed that I felt so tired.  I think that somehow I thought I either would get by without getting it because I know all about it, or I'd tolerate it all better.  No such luck!

I slogged through many of my runs during my first trimester.  I've seen my mile times lengthen (sometimes frustratingly).  I've often felt terrible or wanted to walk.  But I keep getting out there.  And I really do feel that it has kept me feeling better.  My nausea has been mild, and even when I have felt sick before a run, it's gone when I get back.  It's keeping me from gaining a lot of weight because, for me, if I'm nauseous eating something makes me feel better.  A couple of times, I've felt more exhausted after a run, and that's when I know I need to back off or take day off.  And I do still have good running days.

I'm trying to run smart.  I'm learning to get used to running slower.  I've been hoping this would pick up in the 2nd trimester as I get my energy back, but if not, I have a good excuse to be slow!  I've learned that I need to hydrate better.  I carry water with me, if I know I won't hit many drinking stops on my way.  I eat before a long run and carry something with me just in case (like a gel).  If I feel too out of breath, I take a break,  hydrate, let my heart rate come down a bit, and then keep going.  It's not a failure to stop or rest if you need to, it's healthy.

More elite runners may be able to keep their times up or even lengthen their runs.  I've kept my runs pretty much the same.  I don't have any plans to train for anything special.  If I wanted to do a half marathon, I could, but I'm not going to go crazy and train for a full.

So keep getting out there!  Tailor your running program to your specific pregnancy.  And, most importantly, run safe and run smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment